Pages

cuteness

Monday, October 11, 2010

More thoughts from reading my new book

My Depression Cure book has been describing different treatment options that people have used over the years (since Freud) and their pros and cons. Currently the only treatment I am using is antidepressants. I've done counseling before and have considered it again from time to time. I've just always had a hard time going to someone that is getting paid to listen to me. Its probably not making much sense but that's how I've felt. But the author of the book talked about all these studies involving anti-depressants as well as the Freudian dig deep into your past and get all your dark secrets out in the open therapy and more of a modern cognitive therapy (positive self talk). And all of these methods (with exception of Freud's) had moderate, but temporary success. Freud's just seems like a bad idea all around because it has tended to make things worse for some people.
And I've noticed that the pills I take give temporary relief. But I'm coming to realize that I want to work on going off of these pills eventually - by following the steps in the book and working with my doctor. Once I've gone through the steps and I've determined I am cured I anticipate that being my next step and that makes me very happy. I honestly think the combination of medications I'm on is keeping me at an unhealthy weight and making it difficult to lose weight. But first things first. Step 1: Brain Food (gotta start getting more of those Omega - 3's!)

No comments: